in this blog post you can find easy instructions on how to make embroidered or embellished decorations (with free pattern).
Brighten your Christmas tree this year with embroidered or embellished decorations. You can choose to decorate them in any way your fancy takes you and make them in any colour that goes with your décor. Make them sparkly, make them glamorous – make them distinctly yours.
The embroidery designs are given for the four different shapes. They are 4″ – 5″ tall (100 – 125mm).
Supplies for each decoration
2 pieces of fabric each 10” x 5”
1 piece of heavy weight interfacing 10” x 5”
2 pieces of a tear-away stabilizer hooped up
6” piece of narrow ribbon or cord to match the colour of your fabric.
Method (Please note images given are for the bell but the principle is the same for all the shapes)
- On top of the hooped stabilizer first place the interfacing and then one piece of the fabric.
- Place the second piece of fabric under the hooped stabilizer lined up with the top layers (wrong side of fabric facing stabilizer).
- Pin the layers to secure them in the hoop.
- Stitch out the two parts of the bauble.
- Remove from the hoop.
- Tear away the stabilizer from between the layers.
- Very carefully cut away the excess fabric and interfacing around the satin stitching.
- Cut out the hole in the hanging loop. Insert a ribbon to hang on the tree.
- Slot the two parts together and secure with a few hand stitches at the top and bottom where the pieces intersect.
Tips: I used a pigment pen to colour the edge of the interfacing that showed around the edge of the shapes, then I used a tiny bit of pva glue to smooth down the outer cut edges to prevent any fraying. You could use glitter glue to do this as well.
- Use a pattern fill in your shapes.
- Add crystals to give sparkle.
- Add glitter glue.
- Use a fusible web to create decorative strips which can be foiled.
- Use the built-in embroidery stitches on your sewing machine and metallic threads to decorate your shapes.
- Free motion quilt your shapes.
- I’m sure you can think of lots more ways of making these decorations special.