In a previous blog post Coffee Inspired Embroidered Tshirt (also pictured here) I mentioned my recent trip to Bali.
When planning our trip to Ubud we decided to visit the Sacred Monkey Forest. I was rather nervous as the monkeys are wild and roam free, often leaving the forest to explore the village of Ubud.
Through some research, I found that the monkeys are rather inquisitive and enjoy climbing on people walking through the forest. Even though I really hoped the monkeys wouldn’t climb on me, I kept this in mind when deciding what to wear.
A skirt or loose tshirt was definitely out of the question… I saw too many videos of monkeys lifting up the skirts and tops of some unsuspecting ladies visiting the forest!
I decided that a playsuit would be perfect as it is an all in one garment and paired it with my coffee coloured Stellan Tee to protect my shoulders from their little paws.
I could’nt find the exact pattern for the playsuit I wanted to make. Instead I used a pattern I already had and adapted it to make the exact playsuit I wanted. I used the In the Folds Peppermint Playsuit Pattern as a base and heavily altered it to suit my vision. The original pattern is fantastic, I just wanted to have an elasticated waist and an open back.
In this blog I’ll share how I made my playsuit but not how I adapted the pattern. The adaptions were tailored to my measurements so they wouldn’t necessarily work for everyone. But I want to encourage you to try adapting the patterns you already own if the style is similar to something else you want to make. You might surprise yourself by how much you can accomplish!
Side note: While I tried very hard to side step around the monkeys (which is difficult as they were everywhere!) I did get climbed on by 3 monkeys at the same time! One even left a little paw print on my thigh.
I posted the video on Instagram and Facebook if you would like to have a watch…
What I used
- B535 Sewing machine
- L460 Overlocker
- In the Folds Peppermint Playsuit Pattern (free pattern)
- 4 matching threads
- 1m Printed Cotton
- 3m pre-folded Bias Binding
- 70cm Elastic (1cm wide)
- 2 x lingerie sliders & rings
17. I overlocked the hems, folded them inwards 2.5cm and sewed along the overlocked edge. To create the turn up, I folded the hem outwards (keeping the overlocked edge inside) and secured them at the side seams.
- For the free pattern of the Tshirt I am wearing, check out my previous blog post: Coffee Inspired Embroidered Tshirt
- If you make an original In The Folds Peppermint Playsuit (free pattern), remember to tag @inthefolds and use #peppermintplaysuit.