Would you like to join me for a year-long project sewing old patchwork blocks? If so, come and take part in the new quilt-along here on the BERNINA blog. I am going to be sewing a patchwork sampler with you!
I will show you a wide range of beautiful old patchwork blocks that you don’t see very often, in a loose chronological order, here on the BERNINA blog. You can then sew them yourself. At the end, I’ll show you how to turn them into a patchwork sampler.
The quilt-along is taking place on the German and the English BERNINA blog. At the end, prize draws will be held for both German-speaking and English-speaking participants for the chance to win a BERNINA 570 QE (NEW)! Isn’t that great?
Old Block Quilt-Along
The project is called: Old Block Quilt-Along.
This is the name that will appear when I post the patchwork blocks for the sampler on the BERNINA blog in the future. And to enable you to find the beautiful pieces for this quilt-along all in one place, there is an overview page here:
You can start the quilt-along whenever you want, as all the posts are available at any time. You only need to stick to a timing if you want to take part in the prize draw at the end.
Structure of the quilt-along
The instructions will appear here on the blog at various intervals. It’s best to stop by regularly or subscribe to the blog newsletter to stay up to date!
- The quilt will comprise a minimum of 12 blocks
- The quilt-along starts next week
- Further posts will appear at various intervals, with at least 1 block every month. This will usually be at the beginning of the month
- The last post will be published in March 2022
- The closing date for the prize draw is April 30, 2022
So it starts soon! The first post of the quilt-along will appear in one week, on April 7th .
In the quilt-along blog posts, I’ll give you a little background information on each block, and of course detailed, illustrated instructions.
The blocks will come in different sizes, so don’t be surprised. In the end, everything will fit together wonderfully! Once we’ve made a few blocks for the patchwork sampler, I’ll discuss possible layouts with you here on the blog.
Just a quick heads up: The sampler will have a maximum size of 150 x 200 cm (60¨ x 80¨). That is unless you want to add your own blocks to your sampler and make it bigger.
Material for the patchwork sampler
You will find more detailed information about the material in the next post. The approximate material requirements are as follows:
- For the top, you will need around 18 to 20 different fat quarters; that’s about 4.5 to 5 m of fabric (or 5-5.5 yards)
- For the background fabric, I would also recommend around 4.5 m (5 yards) of fabric (for a width of 110 cm/43¨).
The amount is calculated generously. But you will see that, due to the various techniques we are going to use together, there is also quite a bit of waste.
What are we going to sew?
The banner below gives you a rough idea of what the blocks we will all be sewing will look like.
You can use this banner on your blog or post it on your Facebook and Instagram channels to let all your quilting friends know that you are taking part in the quilt-along.
Click here to view the graphic in full size.
The block in the background of the banner is called “Brides Bouquet”. We’ll start our quilt-along with it next week.
What is a patchwork sampler?
At the start of the blog post, I said that we would be turning our patchwork blocks into a quilt. This type of quilt is called a patchwork sampler. ‘Sample’ can mean a ‘test specimen’, ‘example’ or ‘trial’.
Patchwork samplers are made up of many different patchwork blocks, patterns and techniques. They are a great way of learning new sewing techniques and using up your scraps of fabric!
An example of a sampler quilt is my “Skill Builder – 6 Heads 12 Blocks Quilt-Along” from 2019. Five friends and I wrote instructions for one patchwork block each month. At the end, we provided a pattern for joining the blocks together. This is what the sampler looked like:
Prize draw – how can you take part?
At the end of the quilt-along, there will be a prize draw with the chance to win a great prize:
BERNINA is giving away two BERNINA 570 QE sewing machines in a prize draw for all those who have completed the quilt top. One machine will go to a reader of the English blog and the other to a reader of the German blog.
To enter the prize draw, you will need to post a picture showing your finished quilt top. Pictures can be uploaded to Instagram or Facebook. Make sure to use the hashtag #BERNINAOldBlockSampler to ensure you are entered!
Your work will then be shown at the following links:
If you don’t have an Instagram profile, you can enter by uploading pictures of your quilt to the community section of the BERNINA blog. When uploading to the community section, select “Old Block Quilt-Along” in the “Campaign” drop-down list:
The winners will be selected at random. If you post on all three channels (Facebook, Instagram and on the blog), you will increase your chances of winning.
What should the pictures show?
- To take part in the prize draw at the end of the quilt-along, you have to post a picture of the finished quilt top.
- The quilt top must have been sewn according to the instructions.
- The sampler must contain at least 12 blocks from the quilt-along.
- You are free to choose the color of the fabrics and threads.
- The quilt does not have to be bound or quilted yet.
You can also use the hashtag #BERNINAOldBlockSampler to show the intermediate stages on Instagram or Facebook. I am looking forward to seeing lots of pictures of your blocks. You can also show your blocks in the community section of the block blog!
Wow, that was a lot of information all at once. Here is a quick recap
- The quilt-along starts on April 2, 2021.
- An overview of all the posts will stay permanently available here: Old Block Quilt-Along
- To participate in the prize draw for the main prize, a picture of the finished quilt top must be posted on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #BERNINAOldBlockSampler by April 30th, 2022 at the latest.
- You can also enter by uploading an image to the blog community.
- Sign up for the blog newsletter to receive the latest updates.
- You are welcome to use the banner provided above to show that you are taking part in the quilt-along.
- Post pictures of your blocks on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #BERNINAOldBlockSampler. Share your blocks and intermediate stages in the community section of the blog! I look forward to seeing your pictures.
Are you in?
Terms and conditions of participation in the prize draw
As with previous quilt-alongs on the BERNINA blog, the following conditions apply to this quilt-along:
- Acceptance of the conditions mentioned in the post above is a necessary precondition for participation in the prize draw.
- To enter the prize draw, you must upload pictures of your finished quilt top (sewn according to the instructions in the quilt-along) to the community section of the BERNINA blog or on Instagram or Facebook using the hashtag #BERNINAOldBlockSampler by April 30th, 2022 and you must have included at least 12 blocks in your patchwork sampler.
- All readers of the German and English BERNINA blogs are eligible to participate. BERNINA employees and their relatives are not permitted to participate.
- The prize winners will be selected from among the participants in a prize draw. The prize draw will take place in May 2022. The exact date will be announced on the blog.
- The winners will then be notified within seven days. You will be notified via your social media profile (if you participate via Instagram) or by email (if your email address is known). We are not responsible for failure to receive or late delivery of the notification.
- If, for any reason, the winner is unable or otherwise not entitled to accept the prize, we do not guarantee that an alternative prize or replacement can be offered. The prize cannot be paid out in cash and the right to the prize cannot be transferred.
- If no response to the prize notification is received within 7 days, the prize will be forfeited. If no response is received within 7 days, a new winner will be drawn immediately.
- The main prize, the BERNINA 570 QE, must be collected by the winner from a nearby BERNINA dealer. In order to ensure the delivery of the prizes, the winners must provide their name and address details correctly upon notification. They also agree that their address details can be passed on to their local BERNINA dealer for the further processing of the prize. If this is not done, the prize cannot be delivered and a new winner will be drawn immediately.
- We reserve the right to suspend or cancel this competition, or to change the procedure or rules, at any time. The draw decision is final.