It’s time to get started and sew two last minute gifts for mom to be. The holiday season is so busy.
Sometimes it’s difficult to think of gifts for those who are in life transition. Specifically expectant moms. Some background information, my daughter is a mom to be & is expecting a baby early in January. Therefore sewing something unique and useful with my BERNINA Artista 200 sewing machine came to mind.
Today, I’ll to show you how to sew two last minute gifts for mom to be that are easy, useful & practical. All you need is some pretty flannel. I used an overlock stitch, decorative stitches and a few BERNINA presser feet. A double sided receiving blanket with decorative stitches and a faux serged flannel wipe set are perfect for mom to be and baby.
You will need:
- 2 pieces of flannel width approximately 43 x length 43″ for receiving blanket
- Several squares 11 x 11″ of flannel for wipes (I made 24 for many spills)
- Decorative thread to contrast
- Thread to match flannel for sewing together
- BERNINA Overlock Foot #2 or 2A
- BERNINA Open Embroidery Foot #20C
- BERNINA Patchwork Foot #37
- BERNINA Sewing Machine with decorative stitches
- Fray Check (optional)
How to Sew an Easy Double Sided Receiving Blanket
Why double sided? At this time of the year in most parts of the country we are in winter and this makes the receiving blanket extra warm. If you cut 2 perfect squares with the width of fabric (43″) also being the chosen length, you will not waste any fabric.
- Layer 2 pieces of flannel (depending on width of fabric ) approximately 43″ x 43″ right sides together. I made 2 blankets and used 4 pieces in total.
- Pin these layers all around the outside leaving about a 4″ gap for turning to the right side.
3. Sew with your Patchwork Foot #37 and a 1/4″ seam allowance from the end of the 4″ gap to the end of the 4″ gap to the start of it.
4. Clip corners & turn the receiving blanket through the gap to the right side and press well, pressing the seam allowance for the gap so that it allows for a straight seam.
5. Choose a decorative stitch, used was #607 & # 113 for the two receiving blankets shown. TIP: Avoid using a dense stitch such as #309 shown above as it will make the very soft flannel tunnel & pucker.
6. Using the Open Embroidery Foot #20 as a guide, sew along the edge with a decorative stitch as shown.
Behold 2 lovely & warm receiving blankets for mom & baby. An easy, warm & affordable gift.
How to Make Easy Sew Environmentally Friendly Baby Wipes
These wipes can be used and washed over and over unlike store bought/consumed wipes. They are great for baby drool & spit up and have been helpful with my first 3 grand babies, now they will be helpful for grand baby #4.
- Cut several pieces of flannel 11 x 11″. I made a stack of 24 (you may want less or more?)
- Insert your #2/#2A Overlock Foot on your machine and select stitch #10 Overlock Stitch (available on most BERNINA sewing machines). This makes a serged look for the edges of the flannel. My serger is not available right now so this is a great work around.
- Sew all edges. TIP: I chain stitched mine to save time so that I sewed 24 sides at a time.
- Cut away all threads
- Fray Check the corners where the stitches overlap & thread is cut away, this step is optional but helpful as it stops the corners from fraying.
- Once the Fray Check is dry, press your flannel squares, fold & package ready for gift giving.
If you would like to see more gifts for mom & baby, visit my website where there are some great free pattern downloads here
I hope this post is helpful if you know a mom to be or new baby who needs a practical gift. Your solution is to sew two last minute gifts for mom to be. Happy Holidays! 🎄