Hey, Sail-Along friends, are you all on board? On Thursday I introduced you to the “Sail-away-with-me” quilt and invited you to participate in the Quilt-Along, which in this case is a Sail-Along.
If this is your first time hearing about the Sail-Along, you can read about what it’s all about in my post here – you’ll find all the info and the schedule in that blog post. Today you’ll get a few more details: I’ll share with you the exact fabric usage for the “Sail-away-with-me” quilt. I’ll also tell you what materials you need for Foundation Paper Piecing. And last but not least, there is a raffle with great prizes in this article – scroll down to find out how you can enter!
Fabric requirements for the Sail-Along
As mentioned earlier, I used fabrics from the “Hoist the Sails” series by Riley Blake Designs for my quilt, plus some basics also from Riley Blake Designs.
In the quilt layout below you can see how the fabrics are used. The quilt is 52 x 76 inches.
In the following graphic I have listed the different fabrics with the approximate need and the color name:
*The fabric requirements are given assuming that long strips will be pieced.
Here you can download a PDF in A4 format with the list: Download fabric requirements as PDF
Of course you don’t have to use the exact fabrics I used, this is just a suggestion. This quilt is totally beautiful in many different fabrics. Of course, especially maritime colors and designs are suitable.
You can use fabrics from your own collection. Basically, fat quarters are enough for almost all quilt blocks. Only the larger blocks, which are 16 “x 16” (these are the sailing yacht, a dolphin and the large motorboat), require more fabric for the background. You can see the listing above. The listing of fabric usage is also in the pattern, of course.
The first position in the long list above contains the border. That means, if you prefer to use another color, you need 5/8 yard (57,15 cm) less of the first position and more of another color.
First you need the pattern, which you can get here on my website:
The package contains 9 different paper piecing patterns. As well as the instructions for this “Sail away with me” quilt, of course. With the code SAILAWAYWITHME you get 15% discount on the pattern package.
You will also need the following:
- Sewing machine including thread and needles (I use Mettler Silk Finish Cotton No. 50 in cream or white and 70 gauge needles).
- Cutting mat and rotary cutter
- paper scissors and fabric shears
- normal printer paper to print out the pattern segments
- fabric glue stick (e.g. from Sewline)
- Ironing board and iron
Right at the start of the Sail-Along, there’s a chance to win some great prizes! Post until 20.03.23 on Instagram or Facebook a picture of your fabrics or the blog button below with the hashtag #sailawaywithmequilt – then you are automatically entered into the draw.
You can also participate via the Community section of the BERNINA blog by uploading a picture of your fabric choice or blog button there. When uploading to the community area, be sure to select “Sail-Along” in the drop-down list under “Participate”.
Prizes to be won are as follows
Two yarn cases with 96 spools of Silk-Finish Cotton from Mettler. The set of 96 spools of 150 m each leaves nothing to be desired. The high-quality cotton yarn is ideal for a wide variety of work: Whether for quilting, sewing or for matte embroidery – Silk-Finish Cotton masters the most diverse creations.
Two sets of quilting rulers “Essential Ruler Kit” from BERNINA. The sets are equipped with simple templates and are especially suitable for beginners. The stencils are easy to handle. They are intended for use with a ruled foot, e.g. with the Adjustable Ruler Foot with Slit #72S from BERNINA…
Please let me know if you have any questions.
I’m looking forward to your creations
See you soon
Conditions of participation raffle
- Agreeing to the following terms and conditions is a requirement to enter the raffle.
- All persons who have uploaded a picture of their fabric selection for the Sail-Along or the Sail-Along button to the Community section of the BERNINA blog or using the hashtag #sailawaywithmequilt on Instagram or Facebook by 11:59 pm on March 20, 2023 will be entered into the competition.
- All readers of the German-language and English-language BERNINA blog are eligible to participate. BERNINA employees and their relatives are excluded from participation.
- The prizes will be drawn among the participants. The draw will take place in the week following 20.03.2023.
- The winners will then be notified within seven days. Notification will be made via social media profile (if participating via Instagram) or by email (if the email address is known). We are not liable for non-receipt or late delivery of the notification.
- If for any reason the winner is unable or otherwise ineligible to accept the prize, we do not guarantee that an alternative prize or substitute can be offered. The prize cannot be paid in cash and the right to the prize cannot be assigned.
- If no response is received to the prize notification within 7 days, the prize will be forfeited. If no response is received within 7 days, a new winner will be drawn immediately.
- We reserve the right to interrupt or terminate this competition at any time or to vary the procedure and rules. The legal process is excluded.
Update: The winners
Thank you very much for taking part in the raffle! We are very happy about your interest in the Sail-Along. Very soon we will complete the first stage of our patchwork journey with the starfish block. It’s great that so many of you are on board!
The winners of the starting raffle were chosen today. They are: Karola (Mettler case), jessica (Mettler case ), mamavon3 (ruler kit) and fritzicreativ (ruler kit).
Congratulations! You will soon receive an email with the notification of your prize. Please reply to this mail as soon as possible and let us know your postal address so that we can take care of everything else.
If you can’t find our mail, please have a look in your spam folder to be on the safe side. If you can’t find it there either, please leave a comment below this article.
Love the colour palate used so fresh! Would look great with any decor, the design is so interesting. I am a Bernina B750QE user, and enjoy using this machine, many hours of fun!
Thank you so much Barbara, I really appreciate it.
I did enjoy making this quilt with my Bernina B770QE, great machine for quilting 🙂