I was wondering what I could do on my block when I suddenly thought of a stamp. The block was only 6″ square so it suited something simple. A quick sketch and I realised I had to work out exactly what I wanted to be on the block. The perforated edge was important and it had to be a 1st class stamp, of course! Did I need E ll R? Did I need the date and was just putting 90 clear enough? I tried out several combinations before settling on the final.
Then I needed to create the design for the embroidery. I took the image from a real stamp and converted it in Photoshop with the ‘Cutout’ filter. Then I imported this file into Art Canvas in the Bernina software.
My first stitch-out showed that I had forgotten to change the pull compensation and that I also needed to change the stitch density. My sample was so stiff and distorted. The second sample was much better so I was ready to commit to stitching out on the provided square of fabric.
To be sure that I had the design in the correct position, I used the design print-out taped to the under side of the grid template. I used sticky stabilizer which I stuck to the underside of the hoop and trimmed to the edge of the hoop. I laid the fabric square on the sticky stabilizer. I also added a layer of tear away stabilizer under.
It all stitched out without a hitch but I found that the heat from the wonderful bright lamp on the machine did affected the sticky stabilizer and it was almost impossible to remove. Something to consider in future!
I learnt some very useful lessons – I just hope I remember them next time!