We always make pretty things for children and women, but I think that men also like hand- made Stuff! This is why I decided this year to make something for the lovely men in our lives. „Nicely wrapped“ is the motto this year. This sweet and pretty Tie- Bag is not only an eye-catcher, but it also brings a smile to one’s face right away. It is perfect for the little and big men!
- 30 cm fabric 1 – woven cotton – outer bag
- 30 cm fabric 2 – woven cotton – lining and breast pocket
- 15 cm fabric 3 – woven cotton – collar
- 25 cm fabric 4 -woven cotton – tie
- 25 cm thin batting
- 5 KamSnap buttons in star- form, red
- Fabric marker
- Pattern: Gift_bag
Print the pattern and cut the individual pieces out.
A seam allowance of 1 cm is included, unless otherwise instructed.
- 1 x front out of fabric 1
- 1 x breast pocket out of fabric 2 – read number 4
See notes under number 1 for all other pieces.
- 1 x rear of outer bag out of fabric 1 and 2 x lining, plus 2 x out of batting, all around smaller by 1 cm
1. Fold the front piece in half, left sides together and sew a 1 cm seam on the fold. Iron this plait to the right and edge- stitch. Use this front piece as a template to cut the back and lining.
3.Mark points, measured from the bottom edge, 10, 15 and 20 cm in the middle of the button facing and install the snaps.
Fold the top edge (2cm) right sides together and sew the fold using a 1 cm allowance. Clip the corners.
Turn the fold to the right side and iron the allowance of the remaining edges onto the left side. Position the pocket onto the front of the bag: about 10 cm from the top edge and 3 cm from the side. Edge- stitch in place. This is very easy using the presser foot No. 10D.
5.The collar and tie are done using the „sew first, then cut“ method. Transfer the collar pattern onto one left side of the collar fabric 3. Make a sandwich as follows: batting, then a piece of fabric face up and finally the piece with the traced pattern face down. Sew the traced lines leaving the straight top edge open. The presser foot No. 10D is a great help here as well.
Cut the collar out using a 5 mm allowance and clip the corners. Turn to the right side, iron and top- stitch.
Do the same with the tie.
8. Box the corners by placing the side and bottom seams on one another.
10.Slip both bags, right sides together into one another paying attention that the side seams are laying on top of one another. Sew the top edge.
If you like you can fold a small piece of fabric and slip it ito the breast pocket. Otherwise, one could put in a note or a cute label.
I wish you all nice holidays and lots of fun making the bag!