Make someone smile with a quick and easy embroidered cat.
This is an ‘in-the-hoop project’ and includes all embroidery and seam lines . Depending upon the speed of your machine it will take approximatly 15 minutes to stitch. It also shows how using an embroidery machines makes seaming complex shapes really easy!
Here is the Download link to the embroidery design in both EXP and ART format. This is a zip file so requires unzipping before use. embroidery files clarence the cat
The design fits into the medium oval hoop so is suitable for all Bernina embroidery machines.
2 x 15cm squares cotton fabric
Tear away stabaliser
1. Spray starch and iron each square of fabric if possible. This makes placement of fabric easier.
2. Hoop tear away stabaliser and stitch fabric placement line.
3. Lay square of fabric over placement line and stitch tackdown line.
4. Embroider the cat following design with chosen colours.
5. Place second square of fabric rightside down and the seam line will stitch. This is a double run line to reinforce the seam with an opening.
6. Remove from hoop and look at stabaliser side of the design. Here you will see as in this photo the seam line, (stitched in blue in this photo,) then two outer stitched lines, (both orange in my photo.) The outer orange line is the tack down line which held the first piece of fabric down. The inner orange line was the placement line and was just stitched on the stabaliser. This now becomes your cutting line as it represents a 3mm seam allowance.
7. Cut along this inner orange line following it carefully but leaving a larger seam allowance at opening.
8. Cat cut out
9. To make turning this small shape easier to turn out, remove as much of the tearaway stabaliser as possible. It really is worth doing this!!
10. Finger press ths seam allowance down at the opening, and carefuly clip all curves.
11. Turn right side out, this is a little fiddly, but a pair of good tweezers will help or if you have them pressure forceps. Then stuff and sew the opening closed with a ladder stitch.
Your cat is finished. Use the mirror iamge feature on your embroidery machine to make it look the other way as I have with the pink cat. Have fun.