Are you ready?
Whoohoo! The Sugaridoo BERNINA Quilt Along is going to start on the 28th of November. Are you ready?
How awesome that you’re here. My name is Irene from Sugaridoo. I love to design quilts and make video tutorials for my YouTube channel. I’m going to be your host for the next 12 months in the Sugaridoo BERNINA Quilt Along. It’s going to be a modern, fresh, fun and free quilt along. I’m so super excited!
Today I’m giving you all the information about what we are going to make, techniques we are going to use and when and where it’s happening, And at the end of this blog post I’ll share the amazing prizes that you can win during this quilt along. I’m not kidding, it’s so exciting.
(Did you scroll down? You did, didn’t you. Can you believe it? I’m SO excited!)
What are we going to make?
Most important question for today is I guess: What are we going to make? Well. It is going to be a mystery quilt along, so I can’t show a picture of the finished quilt. BUT, of course I can tell you a little bit more about it.
It is a row along quilt along. Every four weeks we will make one of the twelve rows for the quilt. The rows have different heights, so the elements in the rows also vary in size. Some of the rows are made out of blocks, some of them are more like a continuous pattern.
All patterns will be in inches. The finished size of the quilt will be 70 x 90 inch. If you want to go bigger you can add a border around the quilt when it’s finished.
The button below gives some sneak peeks to what the quilt is going to look like. You can share the button on your blog, on your Instagram or Facebook account to tell all your quilting friends that you’re joining the quilt along! (click to download full size)
As you can see in the button above, we are going to make a modern quilt with geometric shapes. Using solid fabrics will accentuate the modern feel of the quilt. A finished all solid quilt top is a perfect canvas for quilting it with rulers. After the quilt along I’ll do a mini series on using rulers to quilt this quilt.
Using fabrics with a print would also work perfectly in this quilt. Next week I will share all the information you need to select your own fabrics. In the meantime you can already check out the fabric kits for this quilt on sugaridoo.com/QAL.
Quilt along Schedule
Every four weeks you will find the pattern for a new row in the quilt on the BERNINA blog. All blog posts will appear in an overview on this page.
Here is a list of what is going to happen during the quilt along.
- 28th of November 2019: release of the first row pattern
- 14th of May 2020: half way giveaway to celebrate finishing the first half of your quilt
- 1st of October 2020: release of the last row pattern
- 29th of October 2020: instructions to assemble the quilt
- 26th of November: celebrating finishing our quilt tops with a BIG giveaway
Learning new techniques, everyone can join
We are going to use different techniques in this quilt. Every four weeks we will focus on one technique. We are going to cut and sew with strips of fabric, use foundation paper piecing, some traditional piecing and use a super easy method for curves.
What I would love for this quilt along to be, is a safe space where you can confidently try and learn new things. Therefore I’m going to quilt along with you.
All of the patterns and instructions will be released in three languages, English, Dutch and German here on the BERNINA blog. For every row, you will find written instruction on the BERNINA blog and for every row I will make a video on the Sugaridoo YouTube channel. So you will see me make each row step by step, going over all the details of the techniques that we use. Here is the video with the announcement of the quilt along:
That way it will be a beginner-friendly, but still challenging quilt along. If you’re excited and you want to join, but you feel like you’re not experienced enough, please just listen to the excitement you feel. This quilt along is for every quilting level. It is going to be such a fun adventure, and you have me as your personal quilt instructor with you along the way. You can do this, I know you can.
Quilt along updates in your inbox
Now before I continue: have you already signed up for the BERNINA Blog-Newsletter? This newsletter informs you on a regular basis about all the new and interesting projects available there.
Furthermore, please go to sugaridoo.com/QAL to sign up for the quilt along email updates. This QAL is completely free and you can find all the information right here on the BERNINA blog. But when you sign up through the sugaridoo.com/QAL I will send you an email every four weeks when the new pattern is up and links to where you can find all the instructions.
…maybe you’re getting married, you’re cat is about to have kittens or you first need to finish watching the last season of the Great British Bake Off…
OK, so now you’ve signed up, you downloaded your ‘I’m in!’ button, you’re all set. You did sign up right? Even when you can’t work on the quilt right now, maybe you’re getting married, you’re cat is about to have kittens or you first need to finish watching the last season of the Great British Bake Off, that’s perfectly understandable. I just wanted to let you know that you can sign up and save the emails as a library of patterns with video tutorials in your inbox. That way you can start any time you want in the future. They will stay online and free forever.
Let’s do this together
Sharing your progress and questions is what makes a quilt along so special. So to have that sense of community I created a Facebook group. I’m not often hanging out on Facebook anymore, but this quilt along definitely needed a place online where you can share and where I can answer all your questions.
I can’t wait to hang out over there with you guys and see what you’re making.
Please also upload images of your quilt to your Instagram feed and don’t forget to use the hashtag #SugaridooBerninaQAL!
For those that are not on Facebook or Instagram, BERNINA has established a community section specifically for the quilt-along: Sugaridoo Quilt-Along on the BERNINA Blog. This way you will be able to show us your quilt and take part in the raffle even without Social Media profiles.
And then. Prizes. There will be three giveaways during this quilt along. Let me start with the entry prize. Thread producer Mettler is sponsoring the very first giveaway at the beginning of the quilt along. You will find all the details about how to enter in next weeks post together with the fabric requirements for the quilt along.
Then we will have a halfway giveaway. I will be giving away three fat quarter bundles with 8 different fabrics from the Sugaridoo shelves that you always see behind me in the videos to three lucky quilters when you finished the first six rows.
But then. You guys, it’s absolutely crazy. At the end of this quilt along for everyone who finishes the whole quilt top, BERNINA will be giving away 3 BERNINA 570QE sewing machines and three BERNINA ruler sets. You have to finish all 12 rows and assemble them in to a quilt top, the quilt doesn’t have to be quilted yet. Not one, not two, but three quilters can win a BERNINA 570 QE after finishing all twelve rows of the quilt. And three quilters can win a BERNINA ruler set. I’m a bit speechless. I mean, that is a whole new level of excitement about this quilt along. Three sewing machines.
Entering all the giveaways is going to be through posting a picture of your progress either on Instagram or through the community section on the BERNINA Blog when you don’t have Instagram. Again, don’t forget to use the hashtag #SugaridooBerninaQAL on Instagram. When uploading to the BERNINA community section make sure to select “Sugaridoo Quilt-Along” from the dropdown list:
The winners will be selected at random. For the halfway giveaway you will need to post a picture of the first six rows of the quilt to enter the raffle.
For the final giveaway you need to post a picture of your finished quilt top to enter the raffle.
Wow that was a lot of information. Let me do a quick recap for you
- Quilt along starts 28th of November 2019
- All patterns and instructions will stay permanently available on the blog. Here is an overview of all articles.
- Sign up via www.sugaridoo.com/qal to get updates in your inbox
- Share the QAL button to let everyone know you’re joining the QAL
- Join the Facebook group to be part of the community
- Show us pictures of your quilt on Instagram using the #SugaridooBerninaQAL hashtag or in the BERNINA community section
- Fabric kits are now available at www.sugaridoo.com/qal
I’m so super excited for this very first Sugaridoo Quilt along that I’m organizing together with BERNINA. Thanks for all your awesome messages of excitement over the last weeks when I shared sneak peaks. It’s going to be so much fun to work on this together!
Conditions of participation raffle
As with the Medallion and Triangle Quilt Along, the same applies to this Quilt Along:
- The acceptance of the conditions mentioned in the article above is a necessary precondition for participation in the raffle.
- The competition is open to all persons who have uploaded pictures of their finished quilt top (sewn according to the instructions of the Sugaridoo Quilt Along) to the community section of the BERNINA blog or to Instagram by using the #SugaridooBerninaQAL hashtag by 30 November 2020.
- All readers of the German, English and Dutch BERNINA blogs are allowed to participate. BERNINA employees and their relatives are not permitted to participate.
- The prizes will be randomly raffled under the participants. The raffle will take place in December 2020. The exact date will be announced in the blog.
- The winners will then be notified within seven days. The notification will be made via their social media profile (if they participate via Instagram) or by e-mail (if the e-mail address is known). We are not responsible for failure to receive or late delivery of the notification.
- If for any reason the winner is unable or otherwise not entitled to accept the prize, we do not guarantee that an alternative prize or replacement can be offered. The prize may not be paid out in cash and the right to the prize may not be assigned.
- If there is no response to the prize notification within 7 days, the prize will be forfeited. If no response is received within 7 days, a new winner will be drawn immediately.
- The main prize, the BERNINA 570 QE, must be collected by the winner from a nearby BERNINA dealer. Sugaridoo and Mettler prizes and Rulersets will be sent to the winner. In order to ensure the delivery of the prizes, winners must provide their name and address details correctly upon notification. They also agree that their address details may be passed on to their local BERNINA dealer and to the cooperation partners Sugaridoo and Mettler for further processing of the prize. If this is not done, the prize cannot be delivered and a new winner will be drawn immediately.
- We reserve the right to interrupt this competition at any time, terminate it or vary the procedure and rules. Legal recourse is excluded.